The Hawks continue to push for progress in making hockey more inclusive whether through governance, policy, programs and we are committed to making a difference. In addition to the creation of the Land Acknowledgement and Hawks Hockey Includes Everyone Pledge the Association has:
- Updates to our policy manual to include:
o “In the moment” directive for coaches and team staff;
o Specific response mechanism for acts of discrimination in our code of conduct.
- All board members have volunteered to complete Safe Sport training;
- Increased focus on our two-deep locker room policy and we are paying for an additional volunteer to be checked to help support this for some teams this year;
- Funding 15 hockey registrations to support increased financial accessibility and participation from a broader community;
- Annual Gear Exchange program. In 2022 the Hawks collected and gave out free used gear to over 130 players to help reduce costs and for more people to be able to afford to play;
- Continue to look at programs, with local community groups and associations to engage more people from diverse backgrounds in hockey, similar to the 2022 successful “Try Hockey” program with the Ummah Masjid mosque in Halifax.
If you have an idea on how we can make hockey more inclusive, or would like to become more involved please contact us through email@example.com