Thank you for volunteering with the Halifax Hawks. We want you to know that we support and value all our coaches, managers, safety people and dressing room monitors.
We also want to stress that it is the responsibility of the volunteer first to ensure their certifications are up to date. The Hawks want to set you up for success, but it begins with you.
If you have further questions once you have read this page in it's entirety, please reach out to Beth (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Click here to learn HOW to check qualifications & How to add yourself to an account
The deadline for coaching, volunteer, saftey volunteers, managers and any additional bench staff is December 1, 2023 (The only exception to this rule happens if you are registered for a coaching course that is taking place after the December 1, 2023 date but you must be registered before December 1, 2023)
What Certifications are Required for my position?
Please click on the link below, find the level you are volunteering with, then your roll and you will see what is required:
***Please note that if you are an On Ice Helper at the U7 and U9 level, you are considered a coach so please follow those requirements listed on the chart in the link above***
Beginning this season, all courses must be PAID FOR UPFRONT by the volunteer. Please forward paid receipts to Beth (email@example.com) to be reimbursed. Because of this new rule, you MUST be assigned to a team in order to be reimbursed. Ensure you are registered to a team before paying for a course (or your CRC). Those who are not on a team roster will not be compendsated.
***You can double check that you are on a roster via your profile***
HU SAFETY - there are new rules surrounding this certification. Please click HERE and read the entire policy and options to register for a CSR Basic First Aid course.
Nov 18 course - 3 spots remaining
Nov 15 & 22 course (must attend both nights) - 2 spots remaining
Criminal Record Check & Vulnerable Sector Search (Voluneteer Screening)
- Do you need to update your Criminal Record Check? (a new one is necessary every three years)
- ALL VOLUNTEERS ARE REQUIRE TO COMPLETE A VULNERABLE SECTOR CHECK
- Please click on this link https://pages.sterlingbackcheck.ca/landing-pages/h/hockey-nova-scotia/ and ensure you complete the vulnerable sector search.
- PLEASE NOTE: The cost of the Criminal Record Check for a volunteer is $30. When you get to the payment page and the amount is $67.85 STOP EVERTYING and call 1-877-455-6730. This is the number for www.mybackcheck.com. They will help you get to the correct check for the correct price ($30).
- Please submit your receipt to admin@halifaxhawks to be reimbursed. Receipts that are more than $30 will not be reimbursed and it will be up to the individual to correct this situation in order to have the necessary Criminal Record Check.
- FINGERPRINTING - if you have been flagged to provide fingerprints, please provide that letter of request to Beth (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to or on December 1 so she can let Hockey Nova Scotia know. Coaches/volunteers cannot be removed from the bench for having to submit fingerprints. HOWEVER, should you wait until after December 1 to apply for your criminal record check and vulnerable sector search processed, this grace period mentioned above does not apply and you will have to remain off the bench until your CRC/VSS and or fingerprints are complete, returned to you and processed via the serial number provided to you.
PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD YOUR OWN CRC/VSS ON YOUR PROFILE. THIS IS NOT THE PROCEDURE FOR HOCKEY NOVA SCOTIA TO APPROVE.
Respect In Sport for Hockey Canada Activity Leaders
Things to know about this online course:
- It will take approximently 3 hours in total to complete however:
- You do not have to complete it all at one time. You can stop and start at anytime. The course is automatically bookmarked from where you stopped the next time you log in.
- Please once completed, please forward your receipt to email@example.com for reimbursement.
Are you the Safety Rep for your team?
You are required to complete HU Safety, Respect in Sport for Activity Leaders and well as complete a Criminal Record Check through www.mybackcheck.com. The Vulnerable Sector Search IS required for this role.
Are you a Dressing Room Supervisor assisting with the 2 Deep Policy?
Please see the policy from Hockey Nova Scotia - Dressing Room Supervision Policy
Memo from HNS regarding Dressing Room Policy - Jan- 23 2023